Thursday, July 9, 2009

Trip to the Clinic


Kevin, one of the little two year olds has been sick all week. Yesterday I brought him home for the afternoon to get some rest away from all the other boys and he seemed to be better by the time I took him back. This morning one of the aunties told me he needed to go to the clinic, and since he wouldn't go to anyone but me, I told her I would go with her. She had to bring one of the other boys too, so she helped me tie Kevin into a chitenge (a strip of bright colored fabric that the women use as skirts and baby-carriers) on my back for the walk to the clinic. Zambian women must have really strong backs, because by the time we got to the clinic I thought I was going to fall over. I had to hold Kevin while the nurse gave him a shot, which he was not happy about, poor thing, but he didn't squirm at all- just cried a little and soaked his cloth diaper which leaked all over me. Thankfully the auntie said I didn't have to carry him on my back for the walk back. :)

3 comments:

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...

this reminds me of one of my favorite greggy quotes, "HIIIIILLLLLL" I really want to go with you one summer!!

Lana Wilkins said...

time to hit the gym when you get back!

Wendy Davenport said...

we were there nearly a month ago and i know i shouldnt have favorites but i must admit kevin was it. he always wanted to cuddle--i loved it! and him :)