Sunday, July 12, 2009

Church at the Basic School



This morning I woke up feeling much better, after staying home and not feeling so great all day yesterday. The rest of the medical mission team arrived safely Saturday night. My dad led a group of the Americans to a church that meets at the Namwianga Basic (Elementary) School this morning, and I went along. After communion, a lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said, "You come with us." Not exactly sure where I was going, I followed her out of the church, followed by all the children, which clued me in to the fact that I was probably going to be teaching a Sunday school class. My mother has gone around to the churches in the area and trained the women how to teach the children, and given them a children's Bible to use. So I used that to teach the story of David and Goliath. Then I taught them a few songs, and they taught me some too. Then the regular teacher, Angela, led the children in a game of "Jesus Says, which I figured out was the church version of "Simon Says." At the end of class, all the children recited the Lord's Prayer by heart, with their hands together, eyes closed. Even the littlest ones knew it perfectly.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Hi Sara, I sure wish you had video of the kids. Seeing a little one sing and pray just warms my heart.

I'm glad you're feeling better. I'll bet those boys at Eric's house are ready to play with their Sara.

Much love, Janet